Celebrate Father’s Day on Sun, June 16
It’s tradition that we honor our dads each year on Father’s Day, which this year falls on Sunday, June 16. We give them meaningful cards and gifts, attempt to make them breakfast in bed or perhaps take them out for a special dinner. It’s the one day each year devoted to letting dads know just how special they are, and how much they’ve affected our lives. For a dad, it’s great reaping the rewards of our hard work.
Yet, Father’s Day need not be a spectator sport for dads. It’s also a day for us, us dads that is, to reflect on what it means to be a dad, and what we can do to make our single most important job in life that much more rewarding and meaningful for our children. We have a tremendous responsibility, but the rewards can be awesome and inspiring.
Thoughts on fatherhood and being the best dad you can be, everyday:
- Your most important job is getting them ready to become adults and leave. Teach them well and know when to let them go.
- Plant the trees so your children can enjoy the shade.
- Enjoy the fact that the gray hairs your children give you make you look distinguished. Keep in mind their mother feels just the opposite.
- Pay attention to the fear of becoming a parent, and revel in the accomplishment of actually being one.
- Think of ways to become a better dad and implement them.
- Make sure your kids feel loved, supported and understood.
- Steer with a steady hand. Be consistent.
- Your children will judge you just as you judged your father. Be the best one you can be.
- If you want to be your kid’s hero, responsibilities come with it. Make sure your image matches reality.
- Never lose the connection between the dad you are and the child you were. Let your child out.
- There’s no better job in the world. Enjoy it.
I’m fortunate to have two dads, and I love you both. Happy Father’s Day.
Leave a Reply