Top 12 Landscaping Ideas for Better Curb Appeal
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
“Curb appeal,” the impression a buyer gets from an initial visit; often a determining factor between a quick sale and a home lingering on the market.
- Spruce up your lawn. Make sure your grass is clean, green, and weed free. Lay new sod if necessary.
- Prune. Trees and shrubs increase curb appeal. If they block the entrance, prune and remove dead growth.
- Address. Make sure it’s clear and visible.
- Cheer up. Add splashes of color with seasonal flowers in beds and pots to give the home a bright, cheery look.
- Mmmm, what’s that smell? Add fragrance by planting jasmine and gardenias. Nothing like a sweet scent to make a great first impression.
- Mulch. Add cedar mulch for an elegant, well-maintained look. It cuts down on weeds and protects root systems, which means less maintenance for you.
- Sweep. Be sure to keep the entry to your home free of any debris, cobwebs, etc.
- Light it up. Nighttime curb appeal is important. Add exterior lighting for warmth and drama. A well-lit walkway is inviting, suggests a feeling of security. Up lighting large trees creates an impression of space.
- Clean your gutters. Make sure they’re in good repair.
- Pressure clean. Scrub your sidewalks, front walk, driveway, decks and all exterior siding.
- Use Windex. Make sure your windows are squeaky clean.
- Lose the clutter. Store all tools and equipment completely out of sight.
Questions to Ask:
Before listing your home, walk across the street. Use a critical eye to assess its curb appeal. Be objective.
- Wow Factor. Does it have the “wow factor” that sets it apart from other homes on the market?
- Is it clean, neat and inviting?
- Is the front door visible and welcoming?
- Do you like what you see?
No? Remember, most buyers are looking for a home in as close to a “move in” condition as possible. Enhancing its drive-by appeal is one of the most important things you can do. Most of the items listed above are simple, relatively inexpensive, will provide you with a healthy return on investment and just might get your home sold faster.
Hounchell Real Estate-RE/MAX Metro, the leader in general real estate, pre-foreclosure, short sale and foreclosure markets in the St. Petersburg, Tampa, Fl area. Contact us today at 727-642-9107.